Friday, March 27, 2009

Below is a Top 40 for the 2009’s first quarter. Even more than usual, this is anything but an attempt at a pronouncement on the state of anything in particular. It’s quite clearly subject to change. I’ve probably heard fewer new singles this year than I had either of the previous two at this time; my methods are even more haphazard than usual, though figuring out what was what was a relative snap. I make no guarantee that anything here “means” anything—though enough of it certainly could eventually and may already. As usual when I do these things I’m surprised how well I like it as a list and as individual selections, but there’s no way I’d offer it as proof of anything much at all.

1. Roy Davis Jr. ft. Erin Martin, “I Have a Vision (The Juan MacLean Remix)” (Scion Audio Visual)
2. The-Dream, “Kelly’s 12 Play” (Def Jam)
3. Lil Wayne ft. Pharrell, “Yes” (mixtape)
4. Kelly Clarkson, “I Do Not Hook Up” (J)
5. The Hold Steady, “Atlantic City” (War Child Music)
6. Dan Deacon, “Surprise Stefani” (Carpark)
7. K’naan, “T.I.A.” (A&M/Octone)
8. brakesbrakesbrakes, “Ancient Mysteries” (Rough Trade)
9. School of Seven Bells, “Iamundernodisguise” (Ghostly International)
10. K’naan, “Kicked, Pushed” (mixtape)

11. Shawn Lee ft. Fanny Franklin, “Cruel Woman” (Ubiquity)
12. Jürgen Paape, “Ausklang (Burger/Voigt Mix)” (Kompakt)
13. Antony + Bryce Dessner, “I Was Young When I Left Home” (4AD)
14. Keri Hilson ft. Lil Wayne, “Turnin' Me On” (Interscope)
15. Franz Ferdinand, “Live Alone” (Domino)
16. Dorian Concept, “Mesh Beam Splitter” (Kindred Spirits/K7)
17. Here We Go Magic, “I Just Want to See You Underwater” (Western Vinyl)
18. Tanlines, “New Flowers” (Young Turks)
19. Neko Case, “People Got a Lotta Nerve” (Anti-)
20. Prizehog, “Husky” (MP3)

21. Ben Watt, “Guinea Pig (DJ Koze Rmx)” (Get Physical)
22. Gucci Mane, “Stoopid” (Big Cat)
23. Afrobutt, “The Taste (Round & Brown)” (Electric Minds)
24. Ben Klock, “In a While” (Ostgut Ton)
25. Gorilla Zoe, “Lost” (Bad Boy)
26. Chelonis R. Jones, “Underdog Anomaly” (Systematic)
27. Horsepower Productions, “Damn It” (Tempa)
28. Beyoncé, “Single Ladies (Siik Remix)” (MP3)
29. Kode 9, “Black Sun” (Hyperdub)
30. Q-Tip ft. Kanye West & Consequence, “We Fight, We Love (Remix)” (MP3)

31. J. Period ft. De La Soul, “Excursions (Tribute Remix)” (jperiod.com/q-tip)
32. Lawrence, “Jill Reprise” (Mule Electronic)
33. Bell Orchestre, “Water/Light/Shifts” (Arts & Crafts)
34. Termanology, “Circulate (100 Bars)” (Termanologymusic.com)
35. Clinton Sparks ft. Clipse & Pharrell, “Still Got It 4 Cheap” (mixtape)
36. 2000 & One, “State of House” (100% Pure)
37. The King Khan & BBQ Show, “Animal Party” (Fat Possum)
38. My Teenage Stride, “Average Justice” (My Teenage Stride)
39. Luomo, “Tessio (Stimming Remix)” (Great Stuff Roots Edition)
40. Futomomo Satisfaction, “Goro Goro Nyang” (MP3)