Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I still DJ Wednesday happy hours, 7 to 9 p.m., at Havana, on Pike St. between 10th and 11th. Tonight I played a themed set in honor of the new president. Not all of it fit as well as I hoped at the time, but I did it pretty much on the fly, so I don't feel too badly. Here's how it went.

Chuck Berry, "Come On"
Sylvia Striplin, "Give Me Your Love" [I had the idea this was on Curtom, which it's apparently not--it wouldn't necessarily make it a Chicago record if it were, but still]
The Handsome Family, "Everything That Rises Must Converge"
Wale ft. the Budos Band, "The Chicago Falcon Remix"
Lupe Fiasco ft. Matthew Santos, "Superstar"
Common, "i used to love h.e.r."
The Chi-Lites, "Have You Seen Her?"
Shellac, "Crow"
Bo Diddley, "You Can't Judge a Book by Its Cover"
King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band, "Dipper Mouth Blues"
The Staple Singers, "Uncloudy Day"
Gene Farris, "This Is My Religion"
Wilco, "Either Way"
CLS, "Can You Feel It (In House Dub)" [actually New Yorker Todd Terry, whoops, oh well]
Kanye West, "Touch the Sky"
George Wettling's Chicago Rhythm Kings, "The Darktown Strutter's Ball"
DJ Sneak, "You Can't Hide From Your Bud"
Crucial Conflict, "Hay"
Esther Williams, "Last Night Changed It All" [another NYC label record, but I played this one for the lyric anyway]
Mahalia Jackson, "My God Is Real"
Felix da Housecat, "Pray for a Star"
Curtis Mayfield, "Beautiful Brother of Mine"
Chicago Gangsters, "Gangster Boogie"
Frank Sinatra, "Chicago" [the only ringer I played on purpose, but hey]
Frankie Knuckles & Jamie Principle, "Baby Wants to Ride"
Muddy Waters, "I Just Want to Make Love to You"
Louis Armstrong, "Sun Showers" [from 1937, I believe after he left Chicago, but fuck it]
Red Saunders with Dolores Hawkins and the Hambone Kids, "Hambone"
Bam Bam, "Where's Your Child (12 Inch)"
The Sweat Boyz, "Do You Want to Perculate?"

I was going to finish with Green Velvet's "Flash," but my time was up. I need to do more theme nights.