Monday, April 07, 2008

Havana, April 6. Usually I alternate between CDs and an iPod set to shuffle and forwarded until something I like comes up. This time I spent a lot of time going between two iPods, which gave this more random a feel than I feel satisfied with; I switched over to CDs with Etran Finatawa for a while, then back to two iPods with “Butch” but then alternated with CDs again starting with Johnny Osbourne. That seemed to work pretty well, and lord knows it helped not having as much to carry over. The set:

1. Marvin Gaye, “Nuclear Juice (Instrumental)”
2. Kirsty MacColl, “They Don’t Know”
3. Robert Glasper, “G&B”
4. Carlo Rustichelli, “Dart Theme”
5. Frivolous, “The Duct-Tape Mechanic”
6. Broadcast, “Come on Let’s Go”
7. Etran Finatawa, “Asistan”
8. Singing Loins, “Cheeriotatatoodaloobyebye”
9. Richard and Linda Thompson, “I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight”
10. Japancakes, “Only Shallow”
11. Jens Lekman, “If I Could Cry (It Would Feel Like This)”
12. Imperial Teen, “Butch”
13. Germs, “We Must Bleed”
14. Gogol Bordello, “Avenue B”
15. Pantha Du Prince, “Florac”
16. Eric B. & Rakim, “What’s on Your Mind (House Party Version)”
17. The Four Tops, “Standing in the Shadow of Love”
18. Khun Kan Chwain, “Naung Ywe”
19. Johnny Osbourne with Bunny Brown, “Love Makes the World Go Round”
20. The Police, “Roxanne” [forgive me, everyone]
21. The B-52’s, “Give Me Back My Man”
22. Queens of the Stone Age, “I’m Designer”
23. Fastbacks, “In America”
24. The Marvelettes, “I’ll Keep Holding On”
25. Moby, “I Love to Move in Here”
26. Cannonball Adderley, “Tensity”
27. Dinosaur L, “Go Bang! (Francois K Mix)”