Monday, February 11, 2008

DJ set, Havana, February 10, 2008
1. Glass Candy, “Rolling Down the Hills (Spring Demo)” [Grant called me out on this: “I thought you didn’t like Italians Do It Better?!” Then he asked if this was the song I’d written about this week]
2. Invisible Conga People, “Cable Dazed” [This is the song I wrote about this week]
3. The Stovall Sisters, “Praise His Name”
4. Cassie, “Is It U?”
5. Billy Eckstine Orchestra, “Air Mail Special”
6. Tabu Ley Rochereau, “Aon Aon”
7. Beck, “Burro” [used to have this on 12-inch, lord]
8. Saint Germain, “Alabama Blues (Todd Edwards Vocal Mix)” [Todd-vox are a foreign language too]
9. R.D. Burman/Asha Bhosle, “Kati Patang (Mera Nam Hi Shabnam)”
10. The Wild Magnolias, “Shoo Fly (Don’t Bother Me)” [just gets better and deeper with every listen]
11. Kay Starr, “You’re Just in Love”
12. The Teenagers, “Homecoming”
13. Sandie Shaw, “Sympathy for the Devil” [the Uncut giveaway CD still had the shrinkwrap on it; she may not be in need of some restraint, but her drummer sure is]
14. Dillinja, “The Angels Fell” [touché]
15. Bing Crosby & the Andrews Sisters, “Pistol Packin’ Mama”
16. Blood on the Wall, “Acid Fight”
17. Pet Shop Boys, “Left to My Own Devices”
18. Dear Jayne, “Rain”
19. The Ravens, “Deep Purple”
20. Justice, “D.A.N.C.E.” [I swear this was an accident. Some dude was bending my ear while I should’ve been paying attention and I literally hit play on the first thing I could put my laptop finger on--this]
21. Hank Thompson, “I’ve Got a Humpty-Dumpty Heart” [cut this in right before the chorus turnaround in 20]
22. The Raincoats, “In Love”
23. Shitmat, “More Fire (’93 Ting Mix)”
24. Black Moth Super Rainbow, “Rollerdisco”
25. Big Quarters, “Everyday”
26. Lil Wayne, “Upgrade U”
27. Wagon Christ, “Ring Piece”
28. Metro Area, “Read My Mind”
29. Jaime Delgado Aparicio, “El Embajador y Yo”
30. Bee Gees, “Night Fever”
31. Sly & the Family Stone, “Family Affair” [people were threatening to dance so I thought I’d try to keep a floor; didn’t quite work]
32. Al Green, “Love Ritual (Alt. Mix)”
33. Chic, “Open Up”
34. Steely Dan, “Any Major Dude Will Tell You”
35. Hank Snow, “I’m Glad I Got to See You Once Again”