Monday, June 20, 2005

Tag, I'm it:

1) Total number of books I've owned
Impossible to know, but probably in the 700 range.

2) The last book I bought
Mentioned this below, but I came home from Portland last weekend w/two shopping bags of books. Among them: the reissued Rock and the Pop Narcotic by Joe Carducci; the two-volume Dian Hanson history of adult men's mags from Taschen, as well as two newly reissued Taschen 25 volumes (20th Century Photography and one that tells the stories behind classic photographs); a three-volume history of jazz from Africa to the '80s that upon closer inspection looks pretty quackish (the writing is pedantic as all fuck, for one); Difford & Tilbrook's Squeeze-catalogue musings (never been a big fan of the band but I do like the book's tone); Rolling Stone's Alt-Rock-a-Rama (on the recommendation of Miccio); others I'm forgetting.

3) The last book I read
Polished off Peter Shapiro's Turn the Beat Around: The Secret History of Disco in an all-nighter on Saturday.

4) Five books that mean a lot to me (in no particular order)
Simon Reynolds, Generation Ecstasy
Barry Blinderman, et. al., Keith Haring: Future Primeval
Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, Watchmen
Robert Christgau, Any Old Way You Choose It
Andrew Dornenberg & Karen Page, Becoming a Chef

Five more: Keyes, Kate (who I am amazed hasn't gotten this one yet), Life Begins at the Hop, Jon "No, Really, I'm Blogging Again (zzzzz)" Caramanica, and Andy B. Plus anyone else who wants in.